Monday, April 18, 2011

radio coils

this seems to be a stumbling block to most radio builders. Before I realized there were coils everywhere begging to be used, I used to use the copper wire for winding coils, and spend bucks on coil forms.


copper wire comes in ton lots, old 25 and 50 pair phone wire from office building clean ups.

If you want to be posh, coil forms are 3/4ths pvc pipe in 8 foot lengths for 99 cents. seeing that a regular coil goes for $5 apiece, and is roughly 2 and 1/2 inches tall, this is a screaming bargain.

Changeable coil forms can be worked up with 12 gauge wire for the pins, and making a molding jig to use a cast poly resin. Maybe pictures to follow, no promises.

I've used everything for coil forms, spent Sharpies, spent Bic Lighters -they present an interesting challenge to wind mathematically- AAA, AA, and C Batteries, Pill bottles...

Right not I'm using some dramamine bottles to make interchangeable coils for a nice radio made from 9-pin mini tubes. I fix 16 gauge pins at 12-3-6-9 o'clock to the form and plug them into a home made 4 pin socket. I am totally retro.

I started with Transistors. moved to ICs. Integrated Circuits are Great. Electronic LEGO's. The thrill and challenge faded and I moved back to transistors, then vacuum tubes. Tube biasing is an interesting and challenging endeavor. I guess for sheer thrills adjusting an inductor/capacator tank circuit without the math, is the top thing.

(You are in a maze of twisty little coils that look all alike!)

Next week on "Why Electronics Technicians Drink!"

No comments: