Saturday, September 25, 2010

Ode to a Winchester

on the Left most side of my gun cabinet sitting quietly behind more recent acquisitions is a Winchester model 94 in .30-30. Shortly after purchasing it, I replaced the stock and fore end with zytel plastic. I had an identical model before my house burned down in 1989. Between these two rifles, I have fed myself through what Brigid would call 'The year of the ramen noodle". Unlike the other years in the Chinese Zodiac, the year of the ramen noodle pops up variably every 2 to 22 years. If I could put a strong lock box in my pickup cab, I'd carry it constantly. In Lever Actions I have a .357 that belonged to a man who was as influential in setting my life on the decent path as my parents. I also have a Marlin 1895 in .45-70 that has impressed some large bears. This rifle in .30-30, 30 caliber, 30 grains black powder, is for some reason the rifle I chose for day to day use. If I'm out in the woods, going after anything bigger than hare, it is on my shoulder by the improvised sling I made for it 20 years ago.


I and my rifle in the woods, there is no finer thing.

No comments: